Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Line in the Sand and Hobby Publishing

I want to congratulate Matthew Finch and everyone involved in getting Swords & Wizardry out! I've only had a chance to glance at it, but so far it looks to be a great contribution to open gaming and old-school gaming.

I want to say a few things. When I released Labyrinth Lord many people assumed there would be an antagonistic relationship between LL and Basic Fantasy RPG. Now that LL has been out for over a year I think time has told that this didn't manifest. All of these efforts complement each other. It's true that people have a tendency to prefer one rules set over another, but in many cases people who prefer say Swords & Wizardry probably won't turn their noses up at a product for OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord. Competition between these systems is largly fictitious in reality, at least as far as I can tell.

In many ways Swords & Wizardry treads on the same ground as Labyrinth Lord. Their overlap is striking. For the record, though, I support Swords & Wizardry and I hope it is well received. I don't anticipate an antagonistic relationship, and I hope people can support both efforts in spirit.

No comments: