Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mazes & Monsters


This isn't a review. There are plenty of reviews out there for this movie, and any old-school gamer worth his/her salt has seen this. I just think that every so often we should watch this movie, to sort of refresh the wackiness that resides deep down in all our souls.

If you don't own this movie, do yourself a favor and buy it on Amazon. Do yourself another favor though and skip reading the book it's based on. Or, I suppose if you are the kind of person who is into self abuse, go ahead and buy it (for a whole penny). It is kind of interesting in a sense, because it focuses much more on the personal issues of the kids involved. I don't think it blames "the game" much at all.

However, if you are looking for a far more interesting read, I definately recommend The Dungeon Master: The Disappearance of James Dallas Egbert III. I found this book fascinating, and couldn't put it down. I read it at almost one sitting. There is a detailed example of play in there that puts most examples in actual RPGs to shame, and I'm pretty sure based on what was said that the detective must have bought Moldvay's boxed set.

I leave you with this advice: Always obey your MAZE CONTROLLER!

Game on!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My best friend found it in the budget racks at the local Wal-Mart, and knowing that I had seen it before, bought it for me as a gag Christmas gift.

It sits in its wrapper on my DVD rack, because it will not be seen until my entire gaming group, him included have seen it.

When you watch it, you do realize it's not just the game, but the troubled family life that drives the guy over the edge, but it's still a pretty tacky movie

yoyorobbo said...

Yeah, I wanna say I snagged it $5 or so at either Best Buy or Walmart....hehe. It is a total dorkfest, but still fun and worth a viewing.

yoyorobbo said...

BTW, on the amazon page for M&M, check out the similar DVD cover for that flick and "Every Time We Say Goodbye". Coincidence?...I think not!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000BGQUHA/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000EOTW0Q/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=130&s=dvd

JimLotFP said...

It wasn't until after my mother got me into D&D (early 80s) as an excuse so she could paint minis as a hobby that she found out about the D&D controversy.

When she did, she made me watch this movie immediately. Bought the movie a few years ago as well when I saw it for cheap at Walmart.

Silly is the only word to describe it.

Jeff Rients said...

As a kid I watched the original broadcast intently. I vividly recall one scene where someone is painting these ginormous minis, no doubt because 25mms don't film well. I remember that crucial detail ruined the whole flick for me. "This story can't be true, those figures are totally the wrong scale!" What a little dork I was.

Dan of Earth said...

Go watch it again Jeff, I bet you'll notice things you forgot. For instance, the little paper figurines they're painting are not that big.

Yeah, it's a silly movie. But there is something about it that's kind of fun. Then again I'm a dork so who knows why I like it. It's not something I can watch more than about once a year though. Heck if nothing else you get to see the inside of the World Trade Center.

BlUsKrEEm said...

I actualy thought this was going to be some sort of OSRIC expansion when I saw the title. :) I totaly forgot about this film.